Wednesday 28 October 2009

SCOTLAND



It's spring right? Then why it's 5 degrees Celcius?

That's the third thing I ask to my hostel's receptionist when I arrived there (after where's my room, and do I get free breakfast?). My friend told me before I go to Edinburgh from Birmingham, that it will be assbittingly cold there, but I refused to believe that as I was already planning for a spring trip when I decided to explore UK, and there was I, alone, cold (even when I was at the peak of my weight problem days), with just one jacket that I could rely on that is thick enough and waterproof enough to (I thought) conquer the temperature. I was wrong, so everyday i wore 5 pieces of clothes, from t-shirt, polo, sweater, you name it, and not to embarrass myself I keep rotating the way I combine those clothes everyday. So guys, if you have plan to go to Scotland, or any other northern UK, do not believe in the seasons!

Scotland was super great, I went to Edinburgh and the highland there. Edinburgh is so beautiful, almost every building there is more than 100 even 200 years old, beautifully handcrafted. When I was there, I was staying at the Westend Hostel, a small, but very valuable hostel, and the best part is it's location, very strategic.

The most important thing that you should do on your first day there is find an information about the "Free Walking Tour", it will take you around Edinburgh, all the important places, and it's history, the tour guide is excellent, and the best thing is it's free (you better tip though, I tipped him with Indonesian brand chocolate back then). And if you fancy some-kind of outdoor adventure, I recommend you taking the Lochness-Highland tour, you could go to the tourism center in the Princes street, and make a booking there. Camera obscura is nice to visit too, it's a museum of light, lenses and other optical illusions, also there you could see a great city view using the camera obscura. For those of you who drinks, I also recommend the scotch tasting, there you could taste a variety of Scotland's pride (the scotch).

Foods in Scotland are so-so, some are good, some just okay, but you have to try HAGGISH, it's a combo of beef/sheep's organs, pureed and wrapped with sheep intestine, sounds bad, but tastes GREAAAT, especially if you're an organ lover, or an Indonesian!
Overall, scotland is super-nice, super-cold (but a cup of Starbucks always helps), and super SUPER!!!

Below are several pictures of my trip, as I was traveling alone, I drag my tripod everywhere, it was quite exhausting, but really worth the effort.





No comments:

Post a Comment